Job Title: Nurse (maternity cover)
Reports to: Midwife Supervisor
International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations, International Medical Corps rehabilitates devastated health care systems and helps bring them back to self-reliance.
Scope of Work:
The main purpose of the position is to provide obstetrical care to pregnant women and their babies, doing follow up before, during and after delivery, according to IMC obstetrical and reproductive health protocols, universal hygienic and newborn caring standards and under supervision of a specialist doctor, in order to ensure their health conditions and avoid post-delivery complications.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Implement all the protocols and hygiene procedures, in order to warrant the quality of the care.
- In collaboration with the midwives, ensures that each patient admitted in the facility is followed diligently and the orders from the treating Obstetrician are followed properly.
- Ensure that all the administrative procedures and documents are filled in correctly
- Performs all clinical tasks assigned as per recommendations from the obstetrician and records clinical details of the patients properly in the files. This includes following up patients, measuring vital signs, administering medications and performing clinical tasks.
- Properly following up all newborn babies from delivery until discharge, informing mothers and relatives about importance of breast feeding, vaccination and possible complications resulting from harmful traditional practices.
- Ensures that administrative procedures of admissions and hospitalizations comply with IMC protocols, as well as verify patients are properly informed and receive the required documents.
- Participates in the organization of the ward in collaboration with other midwives and the maternity ward supervisor.
- Ensures effective handover the patients at the end of the shift. Documents all relevant clinical details of the patient in the handover notes and ensures that all patients especially high risk cases are handed over to the next shift.
- Participates in ward rounds during the shifts and documents relevant information.
- Provides health education sessions to the patients admitted in the facility. Ensures that adequate information is given to the patients about their condition and explains dos and don’ts to postpartum patients.
- Provides relevant information to the patients about the daily care of their newborn babies.
- Performs any other clinical tasks as assigned by the supervisor
- Education/Degree: Bachelor’s degree in Nursing; valid registration with JMNCA
- Minimum 2 years of experience in a recognized hospital
- Experience in a Maternity facility would be an advantage
- INGO experience would be an added advantage
Compliance & Ethics
Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout International Medical Corps. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity. Communicates these values to staff and to partners and requires them to adhere to these values.
The duties and responsibilities listed are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all inclusive.
International Medical Corps is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran.
This job description is subject to periodic review and adjustment in order to achieve IMC’s goals in Jordan, and any changes to JD will be discussed and agreed